Financial support

If you have lost money as a result of cybercrime or you suspect that someone has gained access to your banking details, you should seek financial support as soon as possible. 

Contact your bank or financial institution to inform them of the incident. Your bank will cancel any cards or accounts that may be compromised. If you have sent money to someone who you think may be a scammer, your bank or financial institution may also be able to do the following: 

  • if you sent your credit card details – limit the amount of money you are liable for, and possibly reverse the transaction, 
  • if you sent money through an electronic funds transfer – cancel the transfer,
  • if you sent a cheque – stop the cheque (if it has not already been cashed in by the scammer), 
  • if you sent money through a wire service (such as Western Union), contact the wire service immediately and ask them to stop the transfer, or 
  • if your incident relates to online buying or selling, you should contact the selling platform for support (for example, eBay or Gumtree). 

Please be aware that it is not always possible to recover money lost to scammers online, particularly where the scammer is located overseas. 

Financial counsellors provide information, support and advocacy to assist people who are in financial difficulty. You can access free and confidential financial counselling through Financial Counselling Australia. Visit their website to find financial counselling services available in your area, or call 1800 007 007. You can also find further advice on financial matters on the Money Smart or the Protect your Financial Identity websites. 

You can also consider consumer affairs or fair trading websites for further advice, including: